by Tami Wenger, Gloryland Ministries
Overlooking beautiful West Liberty, Ohio is Fairview Cemetery. With interesting headstones, some dating back to the 1800's, Fairview Cemetery rests our loved ones' earthly bodies. The original name for the cemetery was Grand View Cemetery but circa 1894 the name was changed to Fairview. The 20-acre property was purchased by J. M. Glover on December 15, 1817 for $1,750. It was so named because it elevated 100 feet above town and looks down on the beauty of the Miami Valley.
In 1910, Mary A. Brown, who lived most of her 94 years in West Liberty, endowed a section of fine farmland to the cemetery. A bronze plaque is set in a sandstone pillar at the entrances to honor her generosity. Her one request was for the preservation of hers and the family burial plot.
A Veterans Memorial was added in the cemetery and bricks were sold so folks could remember or honor their loved one who served or was serving in the military. These bricks were placed in front of the monument as a loving forever remembrance of their service. Today, this is where they hold the yearly Memorial Day Parade Program.
West Liberty History Stories
West Liberty, Ohio was established in 1817. Read a sampling of our village's 200+ years of history or SUBMIT YOUR OWN STORY for all to enjoy!