West Liberty Historical Society Moves Into Bailey House
The West Liberty Historical Society has a new home!
The Society recently purchased "The Bailey House," located at 112 E. Columbus St. Formerly known as the home of the West Liberty Police Department, the Society purchased the property from the Village Council for $1,001 in May of 2017. The purchase and stabilization of the property was made possible by a gift from the great, great grandson of the builder, George Bailey, a Civil War veteran and former mayor and council member of the village who built the house around 1850.
The house is located directly east of the town hall but was built prior to the Town Hall. The Bailey family would have looked out their front door to see the village grazing area until 1868 when the Town Hall and Opera House was built.
The “Bailey House” had been home to the West Liberty Police Department for 10 years. When the police and the village council no longer had a use for the building, they considered demolishing it. Members of the Bailey family heard about the possibility and Mr. Herb McClain of Quaker City, Ohio came forward and offered to provide the funds to save and restore the house as a West Liberty History Center. He will be working with a committee of the Historical Society to plan and carry out the renovations.